Following St Petersburg Metro Blast Trump Calls Putin To Offer Condolences And ‘Full Support’

0
1832

US President Donald Trump has called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to offer his condolences after the blast in the St. Petersburg metro, killing at least 11 people on Monday (April 3).

Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev described the blast, which wounded 45 others, as a “terrorist attack.”A White House spokesman said Trump “expressed his deepest condolences to the victims, their loved ones and the people of Russia.”

Trump “fully supported the US government in responding to the attack and bringing those responsible to justice,” he said.The two leaders then agreed that “terrorism must be defeated decisively and quickly.”The investigation focused on a 23-year-old man from Central Asia, according to a Russian news agency.

Earlier in the day, ahead of his meeting with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Trump said the explosion was “terrible, terrible.” Adding: “Happening all over the world, quite a terrible thing.”

The cause of the explosion is not yet known, although the discovery of a transverse device at another deactivated metro station indicates a coordinated attack.